View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #33
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Avoiding Deathtouch? (or touch spells in general?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

In my experience it rarely made sense for the monsters to target powerful gear like that. Even in cases where items can't resist such spells, it is almost always better to use a spell which can directly disable an adventurers, since that is far more helpful than slightly reducing the effectivness of one of their enemies. There are some situations where it makes sense such as if the party only has a few weapons which can harm their foe, but that hasn't come up much.
I'm surprised.

The thing about adventurers is that they're often largely or entirely immune to fight-winning magic. They have high HT and Will (and often special abilities like Magic Resistance, or Mental Strength and Body Control skills) that make "save or suck" spells nigh-worthless. They have scads of DR and healing that severely curb the effectiveness of jets and Missile spells. They usually show up to a fight buffed . . . Armor, Missile Shield, Shield, Strengthen Will, Vigor, you name it, with a Magic Resistance spell coming last. All in all, bad guys have more luck using their magic to do exactly the same for themselves and their minions, and to make bits of battlefield annoying.

But an interesting thing about Magic Resistance (native or granted by a spell) and some buffs (like the Armor spell) is that they affect a person but not that person's gear. A wizard is supposed to be smart, so I think a boss-level caster is extremely likely to try to burn, corrode, disintegrate, melt, shape, or teleport away anything that poses them a serious danger, or that provides extreme DR against their minions or direct-damage spells. Most such castings take one second and aren't resisted (and Disintegrate and Shatter bypass object DR: "Subject's DR does not protect it.") . . . by contrast to the ridiculous casting time of Dispel Magic, which is resisted.

Maybe it's just me, but I think a necromancer is likely to find it much more effective to disintegrate a warrior's armor and weapon, leaving him fighting a zombie horde naked, than to use those seconds of casting trying and probably failing to affect the warrior with slow, expensive, Resisted spells like Entombment and Evisceration. Or to do that to an enemy caster's power item . . .
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote