View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: One-Man Armies from Supers vs. Mob Attacks from Zombies vs. other solutions

Quote:
But what do you mean by it is a bit less likely to give the average? I just want to make sure I understand. For 4 enemies, using that +3 bonus on 10 for a total of 13, the average roll is 10, which is a margin 3, which gets 1 hit for the success plus another 1 hit for beating the recoil. I figured 2 hits would be the average out of 4 shots (at skill 10, of course). The base 1 hit for the success is the part I always forget about RoF, so I just want to make sure you took that into account too.
base hit for 1 is included.

the binomial (true method) gives an average of 35.3 hits when 37 opponents with skill 15 attack.

your method gives an average of 32.4 hits, slightly less, because skill is high.

the binomial (true method) gives an average of 6.00 hits when 37 opponents with skill 7 attack.

your method gives an average of 6.74 hits, slightly more, because skill is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post

And I agree on the whole math over tables bit. The trickiest part, really, is probably that pesky Recoil, but I realized that it's probably better written as a fraction so that the margin of success can just be multiplied by the inverse.
I just realized my method and yours are slightly different. You're looking up the recoil from a table, and I'm just dividing 8 by the number of attacks. The division method is a fair deal more accurate away from powers of 2.

I really like the method though! its slick and it mostly just works! Do you mind if I stick it up on my blog? how do you want me to credit you?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote