View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
Grayscale

Default Re: [UT][HT] 15mm Gyroc White Phosphorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
True true, I am as always hasty with my judgements. 1d explosion is the strength of a punch, so wearing at least bare minimum protection or a very good torso vest will negate it. 1d(0.2) burn ex means that burning shrapnel flies out to 5 yards - effectively a 5 yard burning smoke cloud. It probably doesn't stick to clothes, though they may catch fire incidentally.

B433 states that one needs at least 3 damage to set some clothing on fire (1d-3 burning per second, -2 to DX), at least 10 damage to set all clothing on fire (1d-1 burning per second, -3 DX) and at least 30 to set flesh on fire.

Rules on B415 on hot fragments state that hot fragments attack everyone once per 10 seconds. I do not know if that means one can stay in the cloud for 9 seconds and only suffer 1 damage dice roll.

Rules on B433 state that if you're on fire, you take 1d-1 burning damage. More serious sources of fire inflict 3d burn per second. There's no information on what kind of fire a WP cloud is, if any.

(0.2) divisor means that entities with 0 DR gain 1 DR post divisor.

Verdict: 5-yard locale where you have about 30% (2.5 damage average) chance to catch your clothes on fire if hot fragments hit (they can miss!). It is unknown if the locale itself inflicts fire damage for staying inside. While certainly interesting for inner city gang warfare, shooting an enemy dead is more productive, imho. Since PCs and, by extension, enemies love to cover themselves in full reflex bodysuits in UT games, I find it to be not very useful there. Average Reflex Suit would have 20 DR against it (4/0.2=20)
Good assessment. WP seem a tad anemic, at least when compared to the video source material - even when considering unarmored foes. I'd prefer at least a 50% chance of setting clothes on fire.