Thread: Voyagers!
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
Stormcrow

Default Re: Voyagers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Well, I only remember bits and pieces of the show. The question becomes why is the Duty worth points, but the Omni is not? Being a Voyager seems to be either a setting thing or part of a package that you'd stat out.
The Duty represents the inability of Voyagers to go off and do whatever they want. Bogg is usually in a hurry to move on to their next assignment, with the implication that they're not supposed to stay anyplace for a long time. He's also stingy about vacations, though they do manage to have a couple of those (which is why I put "15 or less" and not "always").

Possession of the Omni is just a benefit of having that Duty. It's a piece of equipment, nothing more. It's an essential piece of equipment, but still just equipment given to them by their employer.

Quote:
Yea, but could he? Is he employable?
No, because he'll never stick around long enough to pick up the first paycheck.

He might be hireable, but that can be left down to a simple reaction roll. "You want to help dig this ditch? You look strong. Take this shovel." But he could never land a job that actually requires the connections implied by any level of Wealth above Dead Broke.

Quote:
Does the Voyager commission prevent him from working?
Yes, inasmuch as he's got a duty to move on to the next assignment immediately. No, if working is part of the assignment, but I touch on that above.

Quote:
Does the commission restrict them from taking possessions/money with them?
Possibly, if it's for their own benefit. I can very much imagine them reviewing their records and condemning acts of personal enrichment.

Quote:
Wasn't the whole reason for Jefferies traveling with him because Boggs lost his Guidebook?
Jeffrey travels with him because his Omni accidentally sent Bogg to 1982, and when Jeffrey fell out a window Bogg had to take him through time to save him. But Bogg's Omni is only supposed to go to as far as 1970, so he couldn't bring him back. By the end of the series, though, Jeffrey had been to Voyager Headquarters and been declared a bona fide Voyager.

Bogg did lose his Guidebook in 1982 and couldn't go back for it, but it turned out that Jeffrey was better than a Guidebook anyway.

Quote:
I seem to recall keeping track of the Omni (and each other) was also a plot point.
Sure, but that's not the sort of thing you put on a character sheet.

Last edited by Stormcrow; 05-07-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote