View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Snakes and Size Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
The SMs given for snakes on the writeups on p. B458 seem to imply that a snake's SM is 2 less than the SM determined by their length. Is this explicitly stated anywhere in the books?
I don't think so, no.

There is a rule (BS550) that if an object is much smaller in 2 of 3 dimensions, which is...pretty accurate for a snake, you use the smallest dimension instead of the largest. But that would make snakes a lot more than -2 SM relative to their length.

(That bit also only really makes sense when SM is viewed solely as a modifier to projectile or thrusting attacks. It's really easy to hit a stick with another stick!)

Does the SM line up with their mass? (To do SM by mass, not actually recommended: calculate HP/ST by mass per BS558, using half the value for Unliving objects to get the value for a living creature. Then divide that by 5, retaining fractions, and use the resulting number as a linear measurement in yards on the Size and Speed/Range Table.)

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 04-19-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote