View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 11:56 PM   #45
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: IQ gain and free talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Right, TP would just be bought with XP. I meant this as another way to resolve the weirdness of IQ only figuring in at the start.

One issue with keeping it tied to attributes is that any PC really only gets 8-10 additional attribute points during its lifetime. The 500XP/TP thing does help with character growth if you stick with the Legacy attribute point costs.
Well that was exactly why I proposed 2 TP with every IQ increase, both to keep IQ factoring in on an ongoing basis, and to accelerate character growth with additional talents coming at a rate double that of 1st edition ITL. Just incidentally, the perceived need to make them available for purchase with XP then evaporates.

If it seems whacky that initial TP is only 1 per IQ, and those that come later are 2 per IQ, one could simply say it's always = 2 per IQ even from the start. But I'd be too worried about IQ 14 starting characters beginning with 28 talent points -- they'd all be skilled like experienced geniuses from day 1, and wouldn't need to earn another talent point for life.

Unless (and this is big) coming up with new and generally higher costs for every talent to bring things back in balance. Lots of work there. The one new advantage of doing this is that the less valuable and more mundane talents that currently cost 1 could stay at 1, others could go up to 2, some 2 point talents could stay 2 while the more valuable ones became 3, and then there could even be 4, 5, and 6 point talents. The whole menu would become much grainier and one could fine tune it to their heart's content.

I'd already thought of trying that, but gadzooks that would be a lot of work!