View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Dresden Files-style Red Court Half-Vampire

I'm not familiar with the series, but I might rip this idea for a game later and nobody else has responded so here goes :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolius
they possess superhuman strength, speed, and recovery (some form of mild regeneration, sans regrowth) *snip* Improved senses are also mentioned.
Any demonstrated lower or upper limits on the above from the source material?

Quote:
Their saliva becomes mildly narcotic, and gives a small buzz of euphoria to those who come in contact with it.
Some level of Affliction: Euphoria plus Secondary Incapacitating Ecstasy if the margin of failure is 5+, with limitations of Melee: C, plus Blood Agent or Contact Agent depending on how it absorbs and possibly Onset (1 Minute) if it takes prolonged contact, and whatever duration mods would be appropriate.

Quote:
They have the urge to feed on blood, but it's mild enough to suppress under normal circumstances. However, the more they tap into the aforementioned powers, the "thirstier" they get. The sight and smell of blood will also lower their self-control. Exposure to sunlight suppresses the hunger
I wouldn't use FP for this, pretty much for the reasons you mention. I'd build this as Uncontrollable Appetite for Human Blood with the worst it gets with any power use at all as the Self Control that determines the base cost, and then add a jury-rigged stepped Trigger that reduces it to a Quirk in the presence of no stimuli, base level with mild power use, Base -2 with moderate power use, etc. The sight and smell of blood should already reduce the SC anyway, so call that one or two bumps down the scale depending on quantity of blood, intensity of the sensory contact, etc. The wiki mentions intimate contact, so maybe add feeling somebody's pulse to that list. Standing in direct sunlight moves it up two bumps on the scale while you're there, reduced to 1 until you get your full powers back. Maybe call it -40%, which I guesstimate by comparing with Variable on Weakness.

Quote:
but (I believe) weakens their vampiric powers, as well.
I'd buy half (or whatever) of leveled advantages like Strength and Perception and all the Regeneration with Access: Avoid Sun for the Previous (Say For Example) 24 Hours. I'd give about -20% for it, since it's easy to do but really inconvenient.

Quote:
The "black at the end of the tunnel": if a Red half-vampire loses control and kills while feeding, they complete their transformation, and become a monstrous full Red Court vamp. For the purposes of this game, that'll be character death, since if it's not eliminated on the spot, it'll be NPC'd and I'll still have to make up a new character.
Normally I'd say this would be a 0-Point Feature if it hinged on your IC decisions, but with Uncontrollable Appetite I'd allow Terminally Ill (1 Month or Less: Mitigator: Don't Kill While Feeding -80%) [-20].

Quote:
There's a group called the Order of St. Giles which is composed of Red halves who oppose the court. They get these tribal-looking tattoos over half their bodies which are invisible most of the time, but spread into visibility as the vampiric powers are tapped (and glow slightly when they're on the verge of losing control)
If the tattoos don't enhance resistance to the hunger I'd call this a Perk (Can See Own Margin of Success on Appetite Control Rolls), plus Supernatural Feature for -5 because it reveals your nature to well-informed enemies and Easy to Read (Access: Appetite Only for -40% if the meaning of the tattoos is common knowledge, or -50% to -80% if it would take an Occultism roll depending on its difficulty).

Net Disadvantages: About 30-40 points in Disadvantages, leaving plenty of room under your campaign limit for individuals to have psychological damage, enemies from the Red Court, etc. :)

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 08-12-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote