View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #15
Tom H.

Default Re: Casting time of missile spell scrolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Only for charged scrolls. For default scrolls you can pretty obviously only put in as much energy as your Talent allows.

Also there is no "initial enlargement", look at the cost line for Fireball, this energy is part of the casting.
. . .
I don't agree, and this is what makes the topic interesting.

What I really believe is that their should be a strict delineation between casting and enlarging.

My real opinion would be that all the missile spell really does is create a 0d charge. All enlargements are the purview of the scroll reader.

But this would make the enchantment a 0 energy prospect which is odd.*

The first enlargement is special and here is why.

It necessarily conflates the casting with the enlarging.

Casting a missile spell:
1 Turn:
Concentrate
Success roll for spell
Enlarge

Enlarging a missile:
1 Turn:
Concentrate
Enlarge

The initial enlargement is not exactly uniform with the others. I created a cheat sheet that attempted to strictly define an enlarge action. The first enlarge necessarily merges its concentrate with that of the spell casting in a blended order.

I think the compromise solution is to allow the first enlargement to use the magery of the enchanter but the energy of the reader (for uncharged scrolls).

Exploits, pg. 76 says "When the spell goes off, the reader pays the energy cost for whatever spell effects the scroll's creator chose."

Assuming that the enchanter would at least have to enchant the first enlargement with a single energy, I say allow him to use his entire magery just for the first enlargement.

I think the follow up enlargements are more easily defined to be strictly out of the casting sequence.

Of course, this is a very technical and gray issue with room for opinions. That's just my logic.

* Edit: After reviewing GURPS enchantment rules this is probably not that odd. However, there could still be issues with forced energy requirements from the specification in the scroll as we discussed in the next few posts (considering how you want to interpret the rules as written.)

Last edited by Tom H.; 01-24-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: New research
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote