View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 03:48 PM   #50
swordtart

Default Re: How many Auto Manufacturers are there in NA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Oh, By The Way: "Horizontal bombing to-hit rolls are not affected by range, target size, or movement modifiers. The bomber's gunner [sic] skill and target [sic] computer do affect the to-hit roll." [ibid.] So much for "-88 to-hit"....
If you read the post you will note the -88 referred specifically to Dive Bombing.

Quote:
So, between the LG [TH: 6], a typical Gunner [+2], and a HRSWC [+2] against a non-moving target point [-0], this side of rolling Murphy[*], that bomb is hitting *exactly* where it's aimed. And even a Murphy is only "missed by 1-2" " -- a max scatter of 4". The 1,500-lb. CB's 20d-damage zone is 21" diameter (7" x 1.5 *radius*, so [(7 x 1.5) x2]). (Beyond that is a 10d-damage zone to 12.5" radius; then 5d to 20" radius.)

[*: Natural 2 on 2d6 for the laser; or 2-3 for the LG lock.]
As previously noted in the follow-up post Laser Guided bombs in Aeroduel do not work the same as laser guided rockets in normal CW. If the laser is on target, you do not automatically hit if you roll 4+ as with other laser guidance, you only change the to hit of the bomb from 9 to 6 (Aeroduel p30).

However I presume you are using the ruling from UACFH instead (it would be easier if you gave references). Unfortunately this completely unravels your strategy. Bombs do not have a penalty for horizontal bombing, but all other aimed weapons do and that includes lasers. So you get your -88 to hit with that and cannot hit. So you don't get laser guidance. So your bomb automatically scatters the maximum 10d6" (UACFH P11).

In this case you would actually be better dropping unguided munitions as at least they have a to hit of 9 unaffected by range (or possibly teleguided bombs as they can actually be steered and have a to hit of 6 anyway - a bit spendy though).

I couldn't find anything allowing lasers to guide weapons fired from another platform in any ADQ&A (even sidecar LG rockets can't benefit from a laser on a bike since officially they can't use the regular link needed to fire them together). You can't link weapons on different vehicles and you need a regular link to fire the laser and bomb at the same time (UACFH p45 shows this is still the extant rule). They need to come from the same vehicle and same arc of fire as the laser. Happy to verify if you have a reference but there is a danger it has ben superseded as the LG rules have changed several times since their introduction.

None of this alters the fact that you can't see my gangers on the ground so you can't choose the correct target point (even if you could hit it). You can choose a random building if you want, but I imagine you'll burn more tax payers dollars in munitions that we would from raiding. Hence my comment about the mercenary nature of even law enforcement. You have to be cost effective.

Your comments about a building sized bonfire eludes me. Also as Horizontal bombing ignores target size, the TH mod for a building is irrelevant. It will affect spotting, but not enough at that range to make any difference. You can see a ruined city from a mile up. You may even be able to see individual buildings with good optics. You can't see the ganger on the second story through the roof and a couple of floors (even with thermographs). You have no target unless you intend to carpet bomb the entire city. Ft. Meade Florida (a known biker hideout in my campaign) is about a mile square you will need around 350 1000lb bombs to cover it (assuming they all go exactly where they need to). That's $1.4 million in ordinance alone. Even 300 bikers won't cause that much damage and you won't even kill most of those.

Not convinced (and never have been).

Last edited by swordtart; 08-01-2021 at 12:26 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote