View Single Post
Old 03-13-2023, 09:48 PM   #13
ravenfish

Default Re: How close are we to NAIs?

I don't think ChatGPT is ready for the Turing Test yet, bearing in mind that the Turing test involves a sustained attempt to find out which participant is the AI rather than mere casual interaction.

Knowing one's own limitations may be the mark of a great mind, but even ordinary humans practice it to a limited degree, whereas ChatGPT seems to be utterly without this ability. When asked a question to which it does not know the answer- for example, a question that doesn't have an answer because it assumes the existence of something that the questioner made up- it produces a result that is superficially plausible but clearly incorrect to someone familiar with the subject.

When I told it to "Tell me about 'One More Day' by the Edsels", I was told that this song was originally performed be the Heartbeats in 1957 and covered by the Edsels in 1963, followed by a description of the Edsels and a plausible description of the song. I was momentarily concerned that I had accidentally asked it about a song that really existed (I freely admit my ignorance about mid-twentieth century music, and I could find a complete discography for neither group), but, when I repeated the question, I learned that the song actually was by the Edsels, and was released in 1961, so I am now fairly confident that the ignorance was in the algorithm and not in me.

Similarly, when I told it to "Tell me about Euler's Last Theorem", it told me that this is another name for Fermat's Last Theorem, followed by a description of the latter; a request for information about the American small-clawed otter produced what seems to be based on a description of the Asian small-clawed otter, complete with a mangled version of the scientific name of the latter and the intriguing statement that the American small clawed otter lives in Southeast Asia (perhaps it's an expat).

[Interestingly, in a few cases it did recognize that I was asking about something nonexistent. When I asked it about Beethoven's Thirteenth Symphony, I was told that he only wrote nine.]

Basically, ChatGPT is a cool toy and very impressive for what it does, but is (as of yet) neither capable of seriously passing for human nor of serving as a practical source of information.