View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Administration

In my current campaign, I've allowed these uses:
  • As the "appropriate Influence skill" in an organizational environment (corporate, governmental, etc.). Other skills work but are at "-1 to -10 for using an inappropriate Influence skill" (p. B359).

• As the skill of running an organization efficiently. I let it act as a complementary skill for one specific organizational mission; e.g., success gives +1 to the effective skill of all staff working toward that objective directly.

• As the skill for navigating an organization's reports and paperwork when the PCs want something from said organization. Failure means not getting what they want, while degree of success determines the quality of what they get.

• As the skill of quickly finding the important information upon opening a folder or a cabinet (physical or virtual) full of documents. Speed-Reading is the brute-force approach: read it all, hope for the best. Administration allows an informed guess at where to look.

• As the detection skill for spotting disinformation and inconsistencies when examining complex forms and schedules.
It's a fairly critical skill to a group of modern spies. It simply doesn't exist when I run fantasy campaigns, though!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote