View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #65
Snargash Moonclaw

Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl
This is probably mean and horrible of me to even suggest, but:

Wouldn't it be fun if we could get a GURPS Spaceships style construction system for sailing vessels?

(Not that Ice isn't doing good work or anything.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
Why not use the same system for both?

After all, I'm sure that somebody out there is still playing Spelljammer or Space:1889, and that somebody might even want to convert the game to GURPS...
That's a project I've recently resurrected - I had started trying to put one together when I first started working on my setting since it has a strong nautical/maritime element. I'm hoping to be able to develop something relatively easy to use which can engineer known stats for historical hulls (output should be pretty close to Icelander's data on those) so would generate original/fantasy designs in keeping/balance with the historical ones. Initial discussion was in this thread and further discussion: more in depth regarding what GURPs already has to work with (material HP/DR tables, etc.) here One of the primary determinants of the system elements would be how ship-to-ship (ranged) combat is handled, whether with cannon or earlier mechanical siege engines - HP/DR, HT, maneuverability, etc. are only really meaningful when someone is trying to destroy the vessel. If you're simply trying to get from point A to point B, all that really matters is ship's compliment, provisional range for that compliment (plus any extra people above that), speed (as seen in terms of per day) and cargo capacity. If anyone is interested in this, I would welcome collaboration on the project.

For those interested, there is some conversion for Spelljammer to GURPs 3e already done, although I don't believe the ship construction system from the War Captain's Companion was converted, all published hulls have been GURPsized here. I haven't looked for Space: 1889 conversions, I had the original rulebook for it back when I was looking into running some 3e GURPs Steampunk (all old gaming sourcebooks were left behind w/my ex').