View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #43
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: GURPS Starships line errata (and some observations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
The way the standard space combat systems handles missiles is weird anyway. Unless I'm really missing something, very slow missiles are actually better than very fast ones, except for the fact that point defense has an easier time taking down the slow ones... but (in the case of laser-based point defense), there's no difference between a super-slow TL 7 missile, and a super-fast super-missile. Warp Missiles apply a penalty, and nothing else do.
With regards to the attack rolls, yeah, that's accurate. Higher closing speed makes intercepts harder.

The reason speed hurts ballistic attacks but usually not beams is the speed-range sum thing. Ballistics, being guided, ignore range, and so they wind up paying for speed penalties pretty easily. Whereas beams are (almost) always expected to be eating at least 100 miles of range penalty, at which point a target has to be quite extremely fast to pose a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Missile and Gun damage is multiplied by relative velocity in miles per second (mps); so the faster the missile is traveling the more damage it's going to do. See p. SS1:61.
That is important in some cases, though usually not against fighters.