View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
Captain Joy

Default Re: [Spaceships] Basic Planetary Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
That's a very good question. As written, Basic Planetary Analysis doesn't even say that it requires a roll - and the other two tasks in that section do say that they need it. I suspect that this may be intended to be a time-consuming task to be done to the data from System Mapping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS5, p. 32
Each planetary analysis is a long task requiring eight man-hours of Astronomy work.
I'm assuming it's an Astronomy skill roll; and at the very least, time spent modifiers (from B346) would be appropriate. The question is, are the range and comm/sensor array type modifiers appropriate as well?

Quote:
Though one could also argue that flipping the array into spectrographic mode isn't necessary for determining the position of a planet, and say it's a separate analysis task, in which case one could make a case for rolls on EO (Sensors) and Astronomy.
I don't know. I think you'd want doppler shift information to nail down the planet's orbits, which means you're doing some spectroscopy during System Mapping.

Quote:
Odd that it's Astronomy rather than Geology, too.
Well, you determine a planet's size, mass, temperature, atmosphere, and tentatively assign it a world-type. Maybe they figured Astronomy was more general in nature than Geology and therefor more appropriate?
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote