View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Handing out Magic Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Twig View Post
I have a group that is experienced enough that I want to start introducing magic items in their treasure (besides just potions). Or more likely, magic items being used by their opponents that they can loot off their bodies. The question is, what to give them?

Weapons with +1 to Dx or damage is pretty obvious, and armor and/or shields that absorbs an extra hit. Power stones for Wizards. But what is something more interesting but still not too powerful? I am looking at a Blur ring, which is pretty cheap (relatively speaking, at $3,000) but really seems super effective. So what items do you usually give out, or receive first? What comes later?
I think before you hand them out, consider whether it will affect the games you will be playing in a good or bad way. If you hand out a blur ring at beginning levels it will make the character almost impossible to hit as most opponents will have DX12 or less. At medium levels, where opponents DX is often higher, items like blur rings will be more appropriate, even necessary.

Self powered items that are always "on" are particularly powerful. Stone or iron flesh, combined with armour, can make a character virtually invulnerable and can change the game in ways you might not like.

Items that give the ability to create a spell effect, like an Avert ring, are perhaps a better choice. They're not always on, and cost ST to use, so you have to consider whether to use them or not.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote