View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: How to make Telekinesis take targeting penalties (range, SM, etc.)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Short-Ranged (PU8:17) is what you want here; 2 levels of it will take you from no range penalties to following SSR like a normal ranged attack. This would come into play on any action that requires you to roll, but as simply holding something (or bringing it to yourself) requires no roll, this usage will be unaffected (actually grabbing the thing to start with, however, would require a roll, and thus would be penalized). This would be Telekinesis (Increased Range, LOS +70%, Short-Ranged 2 -20%) [7.5]/level. Interestingly, it works out to the same net +50% as you calculated with a more roundabout method.
Excellent! This seems like a better way of going about it—simply changing how the range works instead of removing range then re-adding range. I'll go with this as my solution. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
A rather strange way to go about it.

Given that the pricing of Melee is probably assuming the 100 yard default range of Innate Attack / Binding / Affliction, I don't really think it should be worth as many points for an ability that starts at a mere 10 yards. You really ought to take x10 range first to get it to that base 100 before taking melee...

Given that TK is already ranged to begin with, taking melee and then ranged again is pretty overcomplicated. I think that if you want to take Increased Range, LOS (which like melee, I think assumes a 100 yard baseline) that you should just increase 10 yards to 100 yards first and then take it as usual.

The weird thing about TK range is that the range actually does a couple things:

1) the maximum range your TK hands can move away from you (or you from them)
2) the max range your TK hands can be CREATED from you

I could actually see treating these as separate ranges, maybe requiring separate enhancements? It could be interesting to have someone who could send their TK hands up to 1000 yards away, but who could only create them out of thin air within 10 yards of themself, as an example.

Perhaps that could be treated like the 1/2D statistic, as a secondary sort of range which could be lesser or equal?

Does anyone know what happens if your hands are the max distance from you and then you suffer knockback away from them, increasing the distance between you BEYOND the max?

Not sure if that means they would instantly vanish, or just freeze and not be able to manipulate what they're doing before you get close again...
Your first point is essentially covered by Varyon's suggestion of taking Short-Ranged 2—it bypasses the need for Melee Attack, which I definitely agree was odd.

As for how the Telekinesis range actually covers two things, I agree, and I hadn't ever really thought about that myself. I'd go the other way, though, and say that they're the same range that can be split into two if you want to enhance/limit one (for half-off?).

I'd assume there's a third and fourth option for TK hands out of range: 3) they move with you, and 4) they are pulled by the range limit (e.g., if your range is 10 yards, your TK is 9 yards away, and you get knocked back 2 yards, then your TK gets pulled back 1 yard for it to still be within range, though it is now 10 yards from you, not 9). While I didn't intend to think about this, it's actually a pretty darn good question.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote