View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #29
naloth

Default Re: Confused by the FAQ on Afflictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I’m assuming you’re misinterpreting me.
I just disagree with your series of assumptions. I don't see them as backed up by the rules.

Quote:
I’m talking about an ability which neither the initiator (afflictor) nor the affected (afflicted) controls once started. There have been instances of afflicted victims gaining control of the disks, and controlling the flight.
You've made an assumption that having Flight as an advantage obligates you to move or that it giving it allows either you or the Afflictor to create later movement. You don't "activate" Flight, make a roll, and end up in a place like Warp. Move takes place as a maneuver, and flight gives you another move type and speed you can use to get there.

As for the "gaining control of disks", there are a number of ways to represent that on any ability. In many cases fiddling with high tech stuff (Spidey, Mr Fantastic) is part of their power shtick. In other cases, it could be a limitation that an IQ roll can safely disengage and let you escape without going into orbit.

Quote:
Afflicted uncontrollable TK wouldn’t work because that would make the target have a poltergeist which moves objects around them. Generic uncontrollable TK sans affliction also doesn’t work because there’s no way to say “it only affects this person, and when I say so”.
I told you would I would base it off of, which wouldn't be uncontrollable anything. (Uncontrollable was for a poltergeist effect, not a predictable, straight line, move that occurs on demand).

Quote:
Afflicted Flight with limitations of always on and uncontrollable is the ability I’m describing, to a T. That it costs less points has no bearing on the matter.
You can play it that way if you like, but it doesn't pass any of the tests.

Uncontrollable is defined as under GM's control if you fail a stress roll, and only "potentially embarrassing, but not dangerous" for Flight. Flying off in towards space in a predictable effect that happens on command, without any stress roles doesn't match that to any letter including T.

Limitations which don't reduce the effectiveness of an ability aren't valid limitations. It sounds like you are using Uncontrollable to justify moving the target against his will in later turns which would be a massive, unrelated upgrade.

As for cost comparison, that's what point systems are for. Coming up with a questionable way to do something that's done similarly elsewhere as a primary ability for cheaper should always be questioned. Is there a better ability than TK to use to compare what it would usually cost to throw someone around at a range?
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote