View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #5
JulianLW

Default Re: Going Berserk on your friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
those are disadvantages, not advantages.

A higher purpose "be the best friend" or "keep my people safe" or some such may give some bonus, but disadvantages should not be mitigators (is that a real word?).

If you have sense of duty you will get ashamed and maybe depressed because you hurt your friends while berseking. Similar with pacifist and other "good" disadvantages.

If you want to make your character Berserk disadvantage sensitive to other personality traits you should get it with a better self control roll (to simulate you rarely lose your temper but can happen) or get it with some limitation that reduces the cost (better self control roll if getting my friends in danger, or some such).
Sense of Duty, according to RAW, does, in fact, give bonuses in some situations. This is from Social Engineering, page 54 (and there may be other cases):

"If the truth would expose a Secret of the prisoner, a friend or loved one, or a person or cause to whom he has Very Good or Excellent Loyalty or a Sense of Duty, he has a bonus to Will to resist questioning: +1 for Serious Embarrassment, +2 for Utter Rejection, +4 for Imprisonment or Exile, +6 for Possible Death. The same modifiers can apply for similar consequences even if the information isn’t formally defined as a Secret."

Sense of Duty to a friend can give up to a +6 bonus to a Will roll in an Interrogation situation. I'm wondering if the same dynamic should apply to Berserk.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote