View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 01:21 PM   #45
Lovewyrm

Default Re: Questions while reading rules more accurately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I wasn't saying anything about using combat rounds, or even changing the length of turns. I was saying that five seconds of movement isn't an extreme amount that should exhaust you or whatever, because people train harder thsn this routinely. Even I do, and I am not a peak athlete by any stretch of the imagination.
If you can do retreats, engages, and clean form attacks, every seconds, then I'd say you must be exceptionally good, having to not only change direction, on a second tact basis, with all the counter momentum that's added to it, but you also are in 'fight mode' against a potentially dangerous opponent.

And I also still think that just doing that for training is pretty intense.
Unless, of course, retreating is just taking a small step, then yeah, but then we're back in 'is it really a retreat' or just spacing for a particular style, like boxing, which, again, I'd put under 'no special bonus because flavor' ...if going by 'realistic human' and not 'by RAW'.

Noone would fight like that. Noone believable. Not in MMA, not in Boxing, not in meth hobo fights, not even in amped up martial arts movies.
Because it's ridiculous.

A true retreat every second? followed by a step back in (required if one stays put and doesn't follow like in boxing) and a clean attack?

Maybe I need to animate this or something to make my point better, but nothing I envision like that is anything other than ludicrous.
And taxing, and unsteady, unless, again, you're some sort of momentum and mass/friction control god.

That said, if turns were longer then that would be more believable, but not in a second tact.

Judo is such an effective martial art because momentum and stuff carries over and can be exploited.
So being a monkey spring bean is silly. You'd be spending quite a bit of stamina doing that, even if you're trained. You'd still be burning more than if you moved less erratic.

No way this is more energy efficient than doing standard flowy 'regular combat dance' flavor footwork, even if by game rules, it's not more taxing.
But it would be ...for believability.

And because I don't think that fighting like that is as effortless as standard fighting, including the active defenses, I also think that it should cost something, even if it's role playing based.
Aka, dumb monkey thug, stop jumping around. Fight like a man, and not
retreat, reengage, hit, retreat (and again, I mean RETREAT, not flavor 'we're both dancing a dance of death with the attack animation and movement and other stuff)

I guess long story short, I think I'm on team "costs movement".