View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 05:48 AM   #24
Lovewyrm

Default Re: Questions while reading rules more accurately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The hex you occupy is relevant to represent the general space you are controlling. However it also produces very silly results if you try to treat it as a literal representation of exactly quantized one yard movements in exactly one second time. Fighters aren't standing exactly in the middle of a one yard hex nor do they freeze while other fighters teleport from hex center to hex center during their turns. These are abstraction of dynamic actions in free space.
I'll just write it off as Schroedingers retreat, especially without a battle map.
Cause fist fighters can apparently move like cats, because that's what they do IRL, since it's dynamic and not nailed to a spot.

While at the same time yielding significant space, to get the bonus but it's not far enough to be silly, etc.

I still find it silly, though. It's not a retreat because 'realitistic footwork' but it's a significant yielding of space, but it's still close so it's not fleas jumping around, and it's in attack range really, but also not because it's a retreating defense, etc, where everyone slides around dynamically.

In other words: As a roleplayer, I am miffed, because I can't really say anything against such play, and it also rolls over things like evaluates since everyone remains close and striking twice, which can also be explained as realistic (machine gun punches, sewing machine knife stabs, etc), and, potentially harms the opponent more (often).

Makes me wonder why lulls and co should ever be used either. Seems like the best way is to rock em sockem robots this game. Where everyone vibrates around one another, to retreat and attack every second.

Which I won't do, but this is an open forum where the books are the baseline and not my view on roleplay.

I can't comment on Martial Arts.