View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #147
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Multiplayer Fridays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I'm not sure it's bitten the dust, but for all the posts I see on the Steam forums, I really don't see anyone online playing, unless there's something screwy going on with my net.

And it is odd, because the Ogre forum is one of the most active sections here. To me that says that people prefer the in person experience.

Maybe there's a way to matchmake games through here? I don't know. I think it's a cool game, and am sorry there aren't more MP games going on.
The biggest problem is it's not very conducive to MP play. For months, it was basically the same 5 of us playing, and even when actively doing it, it was more to troubleshoot issues than it was to actually play. 1.6.8.0 is by far the most solid stability-wise, but there's still a lot of things missing that really need it to do well. Not all of it is AD's fault, either. There are issues because it's how Steam works.

The things that irritate me the most (in no particular order)
  • you can't pick what scenario to play in ranked play - I get tired of playing the same thing over and over. There needs to be a way to select this
  • you can't talk to the person you are playing against - You can't make friends if you can't meet new people. It's next to impossible to friend request someone after the fact because Steam SUCKS for finding people.
  • you can't start a game offline - This is probably the biggest killer, especially for trying to play a game with people on the other side of the planet. You have to both be logged on, and actively looking for a ranked match for it to connect. Getting a DX sked for ham radio is easier.
There are plenty more, but these are the biggest ones. Your only real hope of getting a multiplayer game is to already have a friend you want to play with and schedule a time to play outside of steam, but you can't do that if you don't have friends in steam, and you can't _get_ friends in Steam unless you know exactly where to find them, blah blah blah...