View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #26
The Colonel

Default Re: Tourneys and jousting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I'd like to get more opinions on whether the joust uses Lance skill or Lance Sport.

I was also wondering about the melee. The last one still mounted wins, so the object is to unhorse the others, but broken bones and concussions are expected. The knights use blunted swords, axes and maces without spikes; but it's still not a safe sport. Would this rely on Combat or Combat Sport skills?
I suspect it's very much dependant on the period - early tournaments were meant to be much bloodier than the late period, heavily stylised ones.
Initially they were meant to be, essentially, military exercises and the melee was at least as big a deal as the lists, for that we use combat. By the end of the period (I think Henry VIII was our last jousting king) it was so heavily regulated that combat sport would be more appropriate.
IIRC unseating an opponent was meant to be hard - and was quite often the result of your opponent falling off his horse because he was stunned by the impact rather than being knocked clean out of the saddle. In some eras unseating your opponent won you a horse...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote