View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #143
phayman53

Default Re: Tourneys and jousting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
This is the best illustration I've ever seen that shows how garnitures work. The Royal Armouries shows Henry VIII wearing all three variations of his Greenwich harness depending on whether he is on foot in a tourny, jousting, or in the field.
http://www.royalarmouries.org/assets...ts-drawing.jpg
Thanks for sharing this Dan! Looking at the different armor components between the different configurations does leave me with a few questions about how to model some things:

1) It looks like the jousting and field combinations lack any plate groin armor as also stated in LT 101. Does this mean the fauld like this should be modeled as 20% of torso armor instead of 25%? Also, does the mail underneath count as part of the cost and weight of a TL4 arming doublet, or should it be bought separately? Incidentally, are their rules anywhere for using stronger mail than light mail for voiders or gussets?

2) The pauldron differences between the foot tournament armor and the field armor are particularly interesting to me. It looks like the left one in both cases and the right one in the tournament foot armor covers the armpit much better than the right one in the field armor and jousting armor. Should this be modeled as a -1 DX for uses with the superior armor in trade for making an armpit impaling/pi attack at -9 (or -10?) instead of -8 as in LT 101? Are these different pauldrons, or is it a guardbrace over pauldrons underneath? Should their be a weight/cost difference over and above the 10% of Torso for shoulder armor if it is just a larger pauldron?

3) Are there rules anywhere (maybe in Loadouts?) for the plates that stick-up out of the pauldrons (I am not sure what they are called)? Are they detachable?

4) Should targeting gaps inside the elbow for couters like those on Henry VIII's armor be more difficult than more open couters? Should their be a drawback to this design, or is this just a case of expert tailored armor adding -1 to armor gap penalties and a regularly tailored set of armor would not have that kind of couter?

5) Is the breastplate in the jousting/field armor different than the foot tournament armor, or is there simply an additional plate over the top of the fauld on the jousting/field armor? Would that give -1 DX for fighting on foot?

It amazes me how many small changes are possible with field armor for it to be used for different purposes, but I guess if you have the country's treasury to buy your armor, you can afford all of the specialized bits.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote