View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #244
coronatiger

Default Session 60 (2021-04-16)

Lord Karl asked if there was anything else we wanted. The mustering permit was a big deal, so he didn’t want to offer anything nearly as substantial, but if there was some small favor he could add to our reward, he’d be happy to oblige. I mentioned that Va’lyndra needed new arrows, but the others said she could buy that herself. Arrows were neither expensive nor hard to come by. While we pondered what reward we might require of him, Lord Karl mentioned that if we captured another Seral, he could use a live one in about six to eight months.

Since we didn’t think of anything, Lord Karl offered something from his cellar. Va’lyndra took a bottle of apple brandy and Ilzo got strong beer. I asked for another bottle of the juice we had sampled already, planning to share it with Olivia tonight. She has completely stopped drinking alcohol and says it’s because she’s pregnant. It’s my baby too, but she hasn’t told me to stay away from the beer and the wine. I don’t understand, but I don’t complain. I’m not a heavy drinker, but I do enjoy a mug or a glass with my dinner.

Va’lyndra asked if there was anything Olivia wanted. “Medical license!” I blurted out. I didn’t know how Lord Karl could give her that, but he was a nobleman, so there might be a way. He asked us to wait, and left the room. When he returned a few minutes later, he gave me a sealed envelope. The address written on the front was in Surd. Lord Karl explained that it was a letter of introduction which would ensure that she could take her exam at any time. She would still have to pay for it, though. I opened my mouth to speak, but then I remembered that Olivia said her skills had to be tested before she could get her license. It wasn’t an examination of her health.

We said goodbye and good night to Lord Karl and began walking through the night-shrouded streets. “Do we have time to stop by the Golden Swan?” I asked. Leopold said that was a bad idea. We didn’t want to be observed more than necessary. I could tell he knew I wanted to perform.

Leopold and Va’lyndra wanted to see if the shops were still open. Va’lyndra needed arrows and Leopold needed new notebooks. The bookstore was closed, but the weaponsmith was still open for business. Va’lyndra began to put in an order for twenty masterwork arrows, but the smith said he had that in store, so she could have them immediately.

Ilzo asked for a crossbow his size. The smith said that had to be commissioned from Garuk and would take a couple of weeks. I reminded the others we had things to do around here, so if Ilzo wanted the crossbow, we could take the second bandit quest, for instance. Ilzo said it wasn’t that important with the crossbow.

The smith began to offer armor, but I asked what bows he had available. I wasn’t expecting much, as my arm strength exceeds what’s usually found in a fighting man (or woman). But, as luck had it, there was one bow that suited my pull strength requirement. We just had to check out the ogre section. This bow was similar to my old bow, but should be able to shoot just a little farther. I said I’d take it if my friends could lend me the money. The weaponsmith said I could have a discount if I told people where I bought it. Still, Ilzo had to dish out fifty-seven gold and six silver. I promised to repay him as soon as we got back to Olivia. I amended the promise immediately. “Will tomorrow morning do?”

Va’lyndra did want armor, and tried on light plate. At least, she tried on the part that protects the groin. She was sick and tired of goblins and skeletons attacking her there. I quite understood. I don’t think Va’lyndra wants anyone but Ilzo to penetrate her.

Going back through town, Va’lyndra asked if she could inherit my old bow. “Sure…” I said. She isn’t as strong as me, so I imagined she might have some trouble drawing it. Although, come to think of it, elves generally have a talent for using powerful bows. The alley was empty when we reached it, and we made our way out unseen.

I ran up to our room when we got back to the knowledge guild compound. Olivia was still awake. We sat down to talk, passing the fruit juice bottle back and forth. Olivia was far less enthusiastic about my new bow than me, and couldn’t understand why I needed a new one. I had wrought havoc with my old one in the bandit camp, just two weeks ago, she said. “Yes, but with this one, I can reliably hit a human-sized target at five hundred meters,” I boasted. “And you promised your old one to Va’lyndra? ’ll give it to her in the morning,” Olivia sighed. “I’ll make sure Ilzo gets repaid, too.”

“Ooh! I almost forgot!” I opened my pouch and pulled out the letter of introduction. “With this, you can get your medical license any time! We just have to go to Surd, which is … troublesome, for the time being. Although, if we can ascertain that you’re not on the wanted list, Fabian can take you.” Olivia said she didn’t mind waiting. She had other things to occupy her for the foreseeable future. She patted her belly, then grabbed my hand. “Can you feel the baby kicking?” she asked excitedly. I smiled and nodded, too choked up with happiness to speak.

Thoughts on October 26th

“Are we going to kick some bandit butt now?” I asked in the morning, not quite awake yet. Va’lyndra reminded me that she was going to speak to the guild leaders about who could be put in charge of the army. Darn it. I was eager to do something.

Va’lyndra returned soon, though. Olivia and I hadn’t even gone up to our room yet; we had let breakfast drag out. We fetched Leopold and Ilzo, and then Va’lyndra asked if everyone was good with going to Alvheim. “What are we doing there? And where is Alvheim, by the way?” I countered. Va’lyndra explained that we had to go to that town farther down along the Silent Lake, to warn them about the Serals’ plan. It was just a few days by boat, she said. I had been hesitant to embark on a longer journey now that Olivia was in her last trimester, but this sounded doable. Olivia thought so, too.

Since everyone didn’t have to go back to Urdon to inform Lord Karl about whatever the guild leaders had decided, Va’lyndra only brought Leopold. He still needed new things to write on, and he was quite particular about what he wanted. Olivia and I spent the rest of the morning in worship.

Va’lyndra and Leopold were back before lunch, and filled us in over the meal. This consisted of Va’lyndra saying that they had accomplished what they went to town for, and said we should plan the trip to Alvheim. Leopold pointed out that we might as well ride along the coast instead of taking ship. I guess we might need to go somewhere else afterwards, for nobody mentioned the possibility of leaving the animals here. We could buy provisions along the way, stopping at farms, so we didn’t have to burden the guild with that or return to town. Leopold said that since it was well past noon, we might as well leave tomorrow morning. I suppose not everyone is as tidy as Olivia, who consequently is ready to leave on short notice.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote