View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #475
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I should think that would vary. On a restive world certainly. On a loyal Imperial world that exports marines they would be a symbol of nativist pride.
Why would any Imperial world specialize in marines? I see Imperial service as something you volunteer for, whereupon you are assigned to whichever service wants you. You can express a preference when you sign up, but where you end up is up to the selection board (This is how I rationalize the "draft" in the game; you can refuse to join the service they assign you to, but just making the initial cut is rare enough that the overwhelming majority of volunteers take anything they're offered -- the lure of getting offworld is very strong).

And of all the various Imperial services, I think the Imperial Navy guy will be the poster boy, not the battlesuited marine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Just so. And a favourable image of the Imperial forces is required to attract [the right] recruits. The USMC's image is cultivated more assiduously (and is better) where they are recruited than where they fight.
But that doesn't mean that the marine is going to be the representative of the Imperial forces.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote