View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 05:09 AM   #4
whswhs

Default Re: Modifiers on normal senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb View Post
In Enhanced Senses, the calculation is described in a different way, but can still be thought of as "apply the enhancement to a (hypothetical) base cost that depends on the sense". It would seem natural to me *if* that base cost was the same as buying the sense back up from not having it; but it isn't.

To put it another way, what if I want to apply an Enhancement *and* a Limitation to my hearing, say? An enhancement and limitation that would cancel out in terms of cost if applied to an "artificial" sense would no longer cancel out because hearing is a human sense.
The same issue arises with arms: the base cost per arm is 10 points, but One Arm is -20 points.

I don't have a definitive answer, but it seems to me that the simplest way to deal with this would be to say that if you have both an enhancement and a limitation, you apply both of them to the base cost for the sense. You aren't just buying off a trait like Blindness or Deafness; you're buying an extra capability and taking some limitations on the usability of the sense to compensate.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote