View Single Post
Old 03-19-2022, 09:51 PM   #7
Plane

Default Re: Alternative Abilities and Uncontrollable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Technically, I think the answer is 'no'. When one AA is 'off' it is as though it doesn't exist.
I don't think that's how it works. I think it exists, but it's switched off, and can't be switched on unless the other ability is off.

IE your ability could still be targeted by Affliction (Negate Advantage) even if you were using it's alternate.

This would also explain why the entire kaboodle can be collectively crippled from either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would treat which ability is active as itself uncontrollable.

I suppose I could see only partially uncontrollable, but then I'd roll for the inactive abilities and if they triggered, which ability was active would change to that ability.
I think really we should just have taboos when designing this stuff.

Like for example you shouldn't be able to have an "Always On" ability as an "Alternate Ability" because this would make it possible to gain switchability at a lower cost than the enhancement itself by making a cheap ability it's alternate. Especially in the case of some where it's +100% instead of +10% to make something switchable.

Stuff like Uncontrollable or Usually On should be the same thing: these drawbacks shouldn't be erased at potentially a lower cost by just taking an alternate ability.

Similarly, Uncontrollable shouldn't give utility, so for abilities that have maneuver costs to initiate, you should have to pay those, though I'd give a huge discount for stuff like Extra Attack that was only accessible by the unconscious.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote