View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
joppeknol

Default Re: Banestorm Campaign/Adventure Seeds & Questions (WARNING: contains yrth Spoilers)

Thanks for the suggestions and constructive criticism so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post

Wait, what? GOFL has the bomb now? Nerve gas? This is going to spill way past Sahud and change the setting a lot...
I agree that it shouldn't go that far. Glimpse doesn't have an army yet, but she's trying to assemble one. Let's say 10 soldiers are already recruited. If the PC's should fail, she'll probably be stopped by the Powers that Be. If the PC's manage to salvage high TL equipment from her, they'll be 'kindly requested' to have it destroyed.

Quote:
This part feels kind of DFy.. Wouldn't the Dark Elves put a limiting enchantment on something that powerful that makes it usable by Elves only? And why just guard it, instead of try to use it for something?
1. The garland is in the middle of the no-mana desert, so it can't be used there.2. It is massive gold and fairly big.(1.5-2 meters) so it could weigh 500 kg or so. It is cool but not very practical without your own army to defend it. It always empties itself on the spell with which it is used. You can use it to kill army 1 with a big fireball, but then you have to wait while it recharges and have to fight army 2 for yourself. I like the restrictions of 'when the moon is right' or something like that. It will also explain why the emperor will not immediately start doing his thing and gives the PC's some time to prepare something against it.

It was indeed used for the banestorm, so I also assume that even the dark elves have some reservations about using it.

Quote:
If the stakes are that high, why not get the greatest heroes of the realm to do this? (They can still be 150 points, if most people have less)
I think capnQ argued this very well. Thanks. Of course, the emperor does not want his own people to know about this quest because it might reveal his true identity.

Quote:
Here we go, if these guys are loyal citizens of Caithness with a vested interest in the current status quo, you can easily scale back the antagonist goal from "Destroy the World!" to "Conquer the world (under the banner of Megalos)..." At first they think that the Emperor is on his McGuffin quest for normal power-lusty reasons like conquering Caithness, and then later they discover the ultimate horrible truth. That is, of course, assuming that your players go for your proposed set-up. Didn't you say that they like free-form characters with a bit of a humorous style earlier?
During the first assignments the goals of the emperor are not very clear and the PC's can have a free-form assignment to infiltrate in the megalos high-society as much as possible to find out what's going on. Carrying out these assignments seems a good way to earn the emperor's trust.

Quote:
If these guys don't like railroading, we can't really give you good advice for how to railroad them.
I don't think that's a problem. The problem is that it doesn't make sense to give the emperor what he wants if you've found out that he will try to destroy the world with it. No railroading, besides plain taking over will help this. Unless........
  1. You know that he will be vulnerable during or just before the final ceremony and you want to take advantage of it in order to get rid of him.
  2. You know that if you don't carry out this assignment some other group will.
  3. You have decided not to do it, but some other group is already on their way.
  4. You/ your dependents will be killed for sure if the emperor finds out you're not cooperating.
  5. Something else I have not thought of, but makes more sense in combination with one of reasons above.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote