View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 12:23 PM   #142
TippetsTX

Default Re: Show me the magic!

Ideas for low(ish) IQ enchantment spells...

IQ 10 - ENSORCELL WEAPON (T)
This spell is used to create a temporary magic weapon. The target weapon will gain a +1 DX bonus which lasts for one minute (12 turns).
Cost: 2 ST

Note: Although the effect is temporary, the weapon is considered 'magic' for the duration of the spell which means it can effect foes that cannot be hit by ordinary weapons.

IQ 12 - ENFLAME WEAPON (T)
This spell causes the target weapon to be sheathed in magical fire. Like ENCHANT WEAPON, the effect is temporary lasting 12 turns. Also like that spell, the weapon is considered magic for its duration. The weapon will illuminate as a torch, burn flammable items and will do bonus fire damage based on the weapon's size; +1d3 for each d6 of base damage the weapon does (i.e. an 'enflamed' arrow does +1d3 fire damage while a broadsword will do an additional 2d3).
Cost: 3 ST

Note: The bonus damage is doubled against creatures vulnerable to fire (Water Elementals, for example). The wizard must first know the FIRE spell to learn this spell.

Note the Second: I never liked fixed damage values for fire so in my game I use d3s to better reflect the chaotic nature of fire. Following the idea presented above then, conversion for other instances of fire is fairly simple... 1d3 replaces +2, 2d3 replaces +4, 3d3 replaces 1d6, etc. For those that prefer the RAW approach, however, just replace my bonus damage rolls with the values found in ITL under 'flaming weapons' (page 162).

Last edited by TippetsTX; 05-21-2022 at 03:34 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote