Thread: Uses Will as HP
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Uses Will as HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A special type of undead are gastar, who consist entirely of psychic energy. This means that their HP = Will, and each time they get damaged they lose Will as well. And when they reach 0 they are destroyed. The second part is easily covered, but what about them losing Will when they lose HP? How do I model that?
What the Matrix Walker said - if it's a NPC, this is just how it works. If it's for a PC, it's trickier, but I think it can be done. The end goal here is to basically make their Will = their HP. I'd first start with Modifying Other Characteristics (GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, p. 10). Substituting ST for another attribute is not currently legal - but you can sub a specific aspect of ST (I did this in Pyramid #3/69: Psionics II in my article "Mind and Body" where the higher of ST or Will determined the basic damage of a psi-sword; see p. 18 of that issue for all the gory details). In this instance I would use the rules for Modifying Other Characteristics and add "Based on ST, HP Variant, +20%" directly to Will. HP wouldn't be used at all unless the critter would somehow become a physical being and HP would equal Will, though a cost of 1 points per level of Will would be needed in the form of a new advantage. So if the gaster had a Will of 11, he'd need to pay 11 points to use his Will instead of his HP for damage purposes. The GM would need to be careful though as this might led to some unpleasantness for playing characters with this trait as they take HP damage they become increasingly susceptible to supernatural powers that are resisted by Will!

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote