View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Reinventing Barsoom: 1 planetology and geography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Spoiler warning: if you are going to play in my campaign Red-Blooded Earth-Men, reading this thread will materially diminish your enjoyment thereof.

If you go ahead anyway, please do not convey spoilers to the other players. If you do, your character will be skinned alive, and I will not give you any cheesecake.

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

In September I am going to start running a new campaign inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series (especially Master Mind of Mars), S.M. Stirling's In the Courts of the Crimson Kings, Jack Vance's Tschai (Planet of Adventure) series, and the movie Stargate. The premise is that four Australian soldiers are mysteriously transported from the battlefields in France in December 1917 to the habitable, indeed inhabited, surface of Mars.

I think my main suspender of disbelief is going to be the fact that in 1917 respectable scientists confidently reported that Mars was habitable. Apart from that enabling assumption and the mysterious transportation I want to put as little strain as possible on my players' SoD. (Don't flog a willing horse, and all that.) So I want to smear, to shade fin de siecle astronomy into what my players know of science*, maintaining the "This is what they believed then" while avoiding cognitive-dissonance-inducing clangers. That means re-imagining Barsoom completely, starting with its planetology and geography.

I toyed for a while with using one of the lovely modern relief maps of Mars, and simply adding water to a level that would cover about a third of the surface. On further consideration I decided that that would be a false step, because in the first place that would draw the mind towards modern ideas of Mars, and in the second place many features of the Martian surface are not compatible with a breatheably thick atmosphere: many million-year-old craters, for instance, would have eroded away in a few millennia if the atmosphere were breatheable.

So I think I'm going to start with either Lowell's or Schiaparelli's map of Mars and add detail.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right to use Lowell's map, but that you should keep the Valles Marineris more or less 'as is', as well as Olympus Mons and the Tharsis Plateau. Those features, combined with breathable shirtsleeves environment that lets a human appreciate them directly, are definitely 'wonderful', i.e. sensawunder. A canyon the size of the United States, a volcano the size of Texas. Standing on the edge of that canyon ought to carry some impact, especially at dawn or the like.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote