View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #42
Bira

Default Re: What level Physician skill should an MD have?

Quote:
Or he'd just have more complications... eh? I've done expeditionary medicine- it's a compromise.
Indeed. I was thinking of someone who could work under "war zone" conditions while retaining the same success rate as the "average professional", which may be veering into cinematic territory.

Quote:
So, not too long ago, the standards for being a doctor were, um, lower. Who has skill 12? The GP era doctor, or the post-GP era doctor? Or even the pre-Flexner report doctor? Massive, massive differences in doctor quality (even after adjusting for TL), but all are "professionals".
I wouldn't get the game's rules too tangled up in the legal criteria for real-world professions, medical or not. Skill-12 is defined as a "professional" level of skill because, as we already saw, someone with that level of skill will very rarely fail in a routine situation. Regardless of any legal barriers the setting might impose, someone with skill-12 could practice that skill for a living. While those legal barriers could certainly be seen as "elevating the standard" so that licensed professionals in the setting need a higher skill, it could also be seen as keeping the skill-7 quacks out of the profession.
Bira is offline   Reply With Quote