View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: A bit of Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
So what campaign should I run?
I'd present the players with a written prospectus with all three and allow them to choose.
Quote:
And how many points should I concede?
Include the point total in the prospectus (and since they are new to GURPS the "power level" category suggested for that point total in Characters).
Quote:
Are there any other problem should I be aware?
There are alot of basic assumptions that people with a strictly D&D background have when learning new game systems that might present problems.

First they often seem to have issues with the one second combat turns and the lack of any "rounds" in which turns occur. They often think that they should be able to do quite a lot in one turn and get frustrated when they can't interfere with their opponents without taking a Wait.

They often assume that characters are uninjured until they reach 0 HP, and are either dead or alive after that.

They sometimes have issues with GURPS's lack of a "Charisma" stat.

Looking at your campaigns I notice they all have a historical element, while some people like this, I've encountered a few players for whom this is a major issue. Perhaps you should consider including at least one campaign set in an invented world or in the present or future.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote