View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 09:18 PM   #21
tshiggins

Default Re: New Fantasy Setting Seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Stranger Things, only with Fair Folk?
I'd play in this one.
Most of the others, in the thread, are just too over-the-top.

Here's an idea I may present for a future campaign, should I ever run one, after Facets.

Convergence

Elevator Pitch: A dimensional convergence similar to the one that appears in, The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski, takes place in the modern world. Can the characters find a way to survive sudden changes in natural laws that end modern civilization, and possibly find a way to build something new?

Genre: Post-apocalyptic survival adventure, with strong elements of fantasy and horror.

Inspirations: The Witcher books and games; Ariel, by Steven R. Boyett; I Am Legend (aka, The Omega Man), by Richard Matheson; bits and bobs of The Emberverse series, by S.M. Stirling.

Characters: Inhabitants of modern-day Denver, caught by surprise when the Convergence occurs. 125 points/50 point disad limit/5 points quirks (approximately equivalent to characters in the pilot episode of an action-adventure TV series). Players should create characters who have existing relationships that would draw them together in a crisis.

Taboo Traits: Starting characters have no supernatural or super-science advantages, and that means no Magery; although, such advantages may become available as the campaign progresses. Altruism isn't necessary, but characters may not have disadvantages that make them predatory sociopaths, or even villainous abusers. I don't like a******s in real life, which means I don't find pretend jerks entertaining in my games.

Tone: Gritty, bloody and terrifying at the start, with reasonably realistic human drama driven by desperation, terror and loss. The campaign will use fright-check rules!

Danger Level: Moderate to high, at the beginning, but perhaps declining as characters learn how the world has changed. The PCs will have guns, but that means a lot of terrified survivors will, also, and monsters in this setting are lethally dangerous. Players should bring their, "A" games, to this one.

I'd include this one in a list of post-apoc setting ideas, so my rating system would be:

4 points -- I would kill to play in this campaign!
3 points -- Sounds like fun.
2 points -- Not my favorite, but I'll give it a try.
1 point -- I'm willing to play, if there's nothing else.
0 points -- Hard pass. I'll sit this one out.

Last edited by tshiggins; 07-12-2022 at 09:33 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote