View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #18
trooper6

Default Re: Are the campaigns you run/play in single location or area campaigns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Im thinking the main types of point campaigns are

The MegaDungeon

The Mystery/Horror campaign where the action travels only foward in time (or backwards for flashbacks and reveals)

The local guardians campaign (probably the one I'm least interested in)

Any others?
I have both played in and run quite a few single location campaigns. I don't think of them as being in those types at all. Or perhaps I don't think about types that way in general.

Why I usually want to have a single point location is because I want to explore the PCs relationships and responsibilities to a place...or just because it is realistic that people with roots stay more or less rooted.

I've have quite a few "investigator" campaigns, or "local criminal" campaigns...which certainly stay in the city...which weren't necessarily local guardians nor were they mystery/horror...though the investigator campaigns often leaned towards mystery. whswhs's Salles D'Armes, we were all students at a fencing hall in historical Paris. We just....lived our lives trying to achieve our goals...didn't really fall into one of the categories you gave.

Hm...yeah. Actually, I quite often have encountered or created situation/simulationist games. Where everyone creates a fleshed out character who fits in a situation--a character with goals and connections. And then we just play. Drama is created through interpersonal interaction between PCs and between PCs and NPCs. There are antagonists and problems. There are hard choices and struggles. But the game could be about business moguls, or doctors, or mafiosi, or high school students, or newspaper reporters...or whatever.

I suppose you could call that category: Slice of Life or Simulation?

But the slice of life of low level gang members would look different than the slice of life of urban vampires, you know?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote