View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #35
Infornific

Default Re: Typical ST for a war bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I had forgotten Strongbow but that still requires 10 cp in a bow-based Martial Art Style. 20 cp for Strongbow plus even one level of Arm ST.

Even 10 cp is pretty elite and 20pts or more is a virtual PC. You can have such individuals but you're not very likely to have even a single company of such people.

You might see an effective ST 14 with Strongbow and skip the Arm ST.
I'm partial to stat normalization but I think you're taking things too far. Remember GURPS Basic suggests ordinary members of adventuring type professions such as soldiers should be built on 50-75 points or 25 points more than Joe Normal. So taking a 25-50 point peasant and slapping on 20 points of intensive bow training seems like a perfectly reasonable way of simulating a classic English longbow archer.

Also remember that the limits on Perks is a suggestion - I don't see a problem in breaking it for a specific culture.

So let's assume Peter the Peasant is built on 35 points with ST 11. Assume DX 10. Seems reasonable. Now add a 20 point Yeoman lens:

Bow (DX/A) DX+3 [12]-13
Perk: Archery Style [1]
Perk: Strongbow [1]
Perk: Special Exercises (Arm ST) [1]
+1 Arm ST

Pete now has effective ST 14 (roughly 100 lb bows) for archery purposes. And he only clocks in at 55 points.

Personally since the ST is for a specific task I would use Striking ST (Bows only, -60%) instead of Arm ST. In that case, for the same points we could drop the Arm ST and related perk and add +2 Striking ST (Bows Only) [4] and two levels of the Special Exercises Perk. That would give Pete effective ST of 15 letting him pull 125 lb bows. There's your Crecy/Agincourt dude.

Note if you're using The Deadly Spring I'd go the trained ST route. But I'd probably allow a Strongbow technique that boosts skill for purpose of calculating Trained ST only.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote