View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Default Re: Have campaign idea. Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarvenHeart View Post
This is based off of a starting thread:Importance of Climax in a campaign. I don't like to see these things drift focus so I'm starting a new one with links to each other. Being new to these things, let me know if this is a poor idea.

The campaign setting is low-medium fantasy. Themes include: blue collar/working class PC's, badass crew, and movable (improvable) HQ (a ship). The first adventure will be set up so that by the end of it (1-3 sessions later) they may gain a ship (either completely or for use under a patron).

I was worried that no setting would work with the movable HQ. Then a player mentioned an anime where the land werent really islands but extensive riverways made ships and river boats the most common mode of transportation.

I'll be starting them all off with some level of Crewman & Fishing. Aside from that I'm working out the level of fantastic races I'll allow in my game.

I'm pretty sure none of my players comes to this forum so anything goes.
I'm currently running a 4th Edition GURPS Fantasy Meets Pirates campaign. Think "Pirates of the Caribbean" Meets "Lord of the Rings" Low magic (for the most part. I do have one voodoo practitioner/gnome) and a lot of fantasy characters walking around with TL4 equipment slightly upgraded due to some fantasy assumptions. Firearms are slightly faster to clean, and are faster to load and fire, and they are slightly more accurate, due to the very slight tilt towards a pseudo Minie ball type bullet. Still, there are extremely inaccurate large bore weapons in play (as typified by the Orc reavers who wander about).

The campaign is set aboard a pirate vessel which operates out of Freeport (Green Ronin's Freeport setting) and in the fantasy equivalent of the Caribbean. This allows for a mobile HQ where the PC's are pirates in the division of a grumpy NPC/Pirate officer named Martin Delaney, who is teaching them tricks of the trade. As they improve in abilities, they have the option to break off or climb the ranks within the ship towards officer slots. The captain is one of those 55-year old tough guys and I've started filling out the list of NPC's that are both frequent members of the party (The cabin boy, Toby), or occasional ranking officers aboard.

Missions are combination of Urban missions in Freeport, coupled with the type of military objectives (disable this fort, move this noble inland to his father's estate, secure noble's estate, Capture and ransack Spanish-inspired city). The enemy employ priests who also lob spells at PC's and of course we've already encountered a few waves of enemy troops in buff coats with heavy muskets and morion-style helmets.

There are a lot of options if you have 'PC's aboard ship' + Urban adventures.

-P
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote