View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
hughborg

Default GURPS Banestorm: "Game Of Thrones" style campaign?

Just a thought I wanted to pass by everyone, and see what other ideas might crop up from it...

Having watched the HBO series "Game Of Thrones" (and having also read about 2/3 of the way through "Storm of Swords"), I was wondering about running a campaign in the style of that story on Yrth, specifically in Caithness. After all, there are a LOT of similarities...

1. You have an ongoing civil war, with both "good" and "bad" guys on both sides. (Wind the clock back a bit on King Conall, and you could play him like Robb Stark...)

2. You have a low-magic setting (as Caithness is a low-mana area on Yrth), but you still have the option of bringing in fantastic elements as you choose.

3. You have the threat(s) from outside (in GoT, it's the "Others" from the North, and a possible invasion by Daenerys Targaryen. In Caithness, it's the threat of Orcs from the Orclands and a possible invasion from Megalos if the civil war makes Caithness ripe for the picking).

So, what do you all think of this idea? Also, what kind of changes/tweeks would you make in the background to make something like this work?

Some of the tweeks I thought of:

- Make the Sterling rebels wealthier than the Royalists, but give the Royalists the better strategists and warriors. Currently, the war is at a stalemate, and has settled into a "cold war"... perhaps the campaign starts with the trigger that turns it "hot" again.

- Don't get rid of Defiant Castle, but use it as a sort of "first line of defense", like the Black Brothers at The Wall in GoT. Perhaps even create something based on the Night Watch that mans the Castle.

Those were just off the top of my head, of course, but I'd love to hear any ideas others may have, or just thoughts on whether this would work or not. What do you think?
hughborg is offline   Reply With Quote