View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 02:36 PM   #32
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: IQ gain and free talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
The main hole I see in this is that if two characters have the same IQ but started with different IQs, the one that started with a lower IQ will have more talent points.
That bugged me at first, but as it sank in I got comfortable with it. In my example of Bran and Mak that's just what happens: the one with the lower starting IQ ends up surpassing the other one in TP.

But they each picked the starting position they wanted (the Attributes they settled on before ever appearing in play) and when the gun sounded they each ran in the direction they chose. One got to more ST, and whatever comes with that (more hit points, more weapon damage), and the other got more IQ, and whatever comes with that (in this case, the 2 extra TP). They weren't forced to make those choices, they each considered the value of what they wanted, weighed their options, and self-determination ruled. Hence I'm content with it.

While the "weaker" character was picking up 2 more ST, the "dumber" character got 2 TP ahead of him.