View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #27
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Vile Vortices and Supernatural Threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
1. 'Cold Ones' makes me think of the dinosaur-like warbeasts of Warhammer.

2. Some kind of ravaging spirit bringing supernatural cold, accompanied by nasty weather, starvation and madness.

3. The Wendigo plus anything Eskimos and related people had going on. I'm sure there's something.
Indeed.

As for 2. and 3., my last campaign had that as the villain. I had something else in mind..

Ah.

Cold Ones (also Ice Giants, the Finality, Lords of the Last Waste)

Mythological beings who dwell at the end of time, during the final blackness of the universe, the last surviving remnants of the war of all-against-all over the universe’s final stocks of extropy, long after the passing of baryonic matter and the death throes of the most ancient black holes. Savage, autocannibalistic beings, stretching their remaining existence across aeons-long slowthoughts powered by the rare quantum fluctuations of the nothingness, these wretched dead gods know nothing but despair, hunger, and envy for those past entities which dwelled in eras rich in energy differentials, information, and ordered states, and would – if they could – feast on any unwary enough to fall into their clutches.

–Mythographies of the Worlds, 53rd ed., Third League Publishing & c.
(Actually, somebody's blog that I'll link when I'm not using a tablet)

There's the effect I'm going for, now I just need some neat connections to one or more real world culture or tradition, to make up convincing exposition for rolls against the PCs' Archeology, Anthropolgy, Expert Skills, Hidden Lore, History, Literature, Occultism and Theology.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-02-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote