View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
CombineGeneral

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Religion-

The Sylean, or Imperial, Church has sent missionaries to many worlds. Joining it is not required for everyone who attains high rank, but it certainly helps smooth one's passage up the line. Some worlds are controlled by the Church. Most military chaplains are part of the Imperial Church.
LKW is on record as saying the Imperium has no official religion but there is cannon about the popularity of the Church of the Stars which is a polytheistic solar cult that worships all the stars as gods.

Quote:
There are cook-chaplains, a la Jason Taylor's set up, for Vilani troops.
Makes sense - just like the real U.S. Army, the Imperial army probably recruits chaplains for a wide range of religions to serve the spiritual needs of their troopers.

Quote:
There are also informally recognized NCO 'chaplains' for other traditions.
no, I would expect the Imperials have formal, commissioned chaplains for many, many faiths.

Quote:
The Imperium neither guarantees nor restricts the religious liberty to the people of worlds under Imperial protection. Such matters are the purview of the member states, not the Imperial authorities.
I agree with you here - the canon as it exists seems to assume this.

Quote:
Various forms of Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, etc may be found throughout the Third Imperium. Syncretic religions, Vilani religions, and other traditions are part of the mix. The Imperial Church is the highest profile religion, but hardly the only faith.
Again, LKW is on record as saying all the great religions of Earth are alive and well in the 3I. There are Jewish, Christian, Moslem, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Taoist, Animist, Wiccan, etc. ad adstra Imperial citizens and all these faiths are left in peace by Imperial authorities.

Quote:
Fashion-

Imperial Court fashions are widely copied on many other worlds. It's quite common to find wealthy people in the further reaches of the Imperium wearing outdated Sylean fashions. Then again, some worlds don't follow such trends. The Imperium is diverse. Many ordinary folks barely have any contact with elite, cosmopolitan, Sylean influenced culture.
Can't disagree - much like most human cultures today.

Quote:
Language-

Galanglic is the language of the government and the military. Many people speak something else as their native tongue. People from backwater worlds may speak little or no Galangic.
Again, I agree - right out of the canon
CombineGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote