View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
martinl

Default Re: A Campaign in Space / Balancing of Spaceships with different SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
One of the groups I play with recently decided that they are interested in playing a high TL space campaign. Their idea is to play a group of space-faring adventurers, each commanding his own ship, making a buck by any means available. ...

We are still in the brainstorming phase, still I already have a major problem, that of spaceship size and the corresponding cost. It makes a lot of sense that modules on larger ships cost more than modules on smaller ships. I now have a problem with balancing that..
If you handwave vigorously enough there is no reason for them to care about the actual value of their individual ships. Never put them in a position where they can sell or buy ships or modules with money - just have them find salvage, swap with aliens with no common currency and barely comprehensible motivations, and so forth. One simple way to ensure this is to make the normal monetary economy and organized civilized space in general inaccessible - maybe their ships are stolen, or a Bad Guy framed them for a Bad Thing.

They live on the fringe, by their wits. Fighter guy protects them, science ship guy investigates the strange for potential advantage, and freighter guy handles logistics and habitat.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote