View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #36
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Tweaking weapons and Armour for Space opera:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
At close range, a laser has the benefit of not having paralax between the sights and where the barrel is pointing. Since the sights of a firearm are set above the barrel, you will usually have some vertical distance between where the gun is aimed and where the bullet hits - at close ranges, the bullet will hit below the point of aim. Typically, the angle of the sights is set a bit low, so that the bullet rises into and past the line of aim before being dragged back down across the aim line by gravity, giving a reasonable range in which you are not too far off. However, with a laser using a single lens reflex aiming system, you simply don't have to worry about this.

Also - image stabilization is good at any range. It makes it easier to aim and hold the weapon steady, which is as good for zapping close small things as distant things.

Luke
I suppose the real issue isn't that we don't think lasers are better than guns for this. For all of the cases brought up, I'd rather have the laser with the neat toys.

The issue is ANY weapon that is controlled by pointing it and pulling a trigger having a Gurps accuracy of 12 in the short range case. With skill 10 one second of aiming lets a shooter hit clay pigeons as though he were using a shot gun. and thats with out allowing rapid fire. There is a point were stabilizing your weapon and hand eye coordination is more important than the aiming apperatus and where one second no longer is sufficient. I'm just wondering where that point is.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote