View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 04:28 AM   #24
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Starships line errata (and some observations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
That's an interesting idea. What do you base it on? I had the impression that the Control Room had all the control systems, and Sensor Arrays only have workspaces (that is, places where people go to fix the array). On what do you base your statement and/or how do you envision that working
See Sensor Task, p. 52:

Quote:
A character can perform multiple sensor analysis tasks on
different targets by multitasking, but the vessel is limited to a
maximum of one sensor detection task per array that it has per
turn.
While this is specifically talking about combat sensor tasks it can sensibly be generalized to mean that only one person can operate one sensor array at a time (since long mundane tasks can be simulated with a long series of combat tasks then the long action of operating a sensor to analyze a planet can be seen as a long series of combat turns doing the Sensor Analysis task).

And, yes, you would still need multiple Control Stations dedicated to multiple Sensor Operators since the Arrays don't contain a control station. However, I would probably allow someone in an appropriate Science Lab to operate the Sensors for scientific analysis without using a Control Station. Of course, you can also rely on AI to operate the extra arrays, but that's setting specific as to whether that's available or efficient.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-05-2015 at 04:41 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote