View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #49
Polydamas

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Padded Cloth and Layered Armour penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
The Charles VI garment is closer to Padded Cloth because it's 10 to 12 lbs. and it covers torso and arms (150% of torso armour in GURPS terms). GURPS Padded Cloth that cover both the torso and the arms would be 9 lbs. while GURPS Light Layered Leather would be 18 lbs.

Armour assimilable to GURPS Padded Cloth worn under mail would be the thicker aketons worn by European knights from mid XII to early XV century, as well the Eastern Roman kabadion.
What examples of such heavy quilted garments worn under iron armour do you have? I linked you a page describing arming doublets/pourpoints/aketons worn under iron armour, they are about as heavy as a modern giacca/blazer with a complete canvas lining. If you go by weight, none of them is heavy enough for GURPS Padded Cloth, if you go by thickness than the heaviest might be DR 1.

The anonymous Byzantine treatise on generalship does recommend a garment one finger thick under iron armour, but a sixteenth-century writer says that soldiers without other armour wear a garment three fingers thick to stop stone-tipped poisoned arrows. In GURPS I would probably call the first Padded Cloth and the second Medium or Heavy Layered Cloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
Armour assimilable to GURPS Padded Cloth worn between an inner layer of mail and rigid metallic armour (lamellar, plate) would be the Middle Eastern qarqal and some of the heavier pourpoints like this:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a8/b7/6d/a...c6f95ee6af.jpg
Why do you think such a fifteenth-century jack would be GURPS Padded Cloth not Layered Cloth? Sources from fifteenth-century Europe describe jacks of from 10 to 30 layers of linen cloth, and we have some extant examples in Germany which are quite thick except where the breastplate will cover them.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 09-25-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote