View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Xenarthral

Default Re: Campaign Setting Question

Those places were around until Napoleon, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
You could get that anywhere. As I understand it, the Abbey they mentioned was a seperate state under the Emperor ... unlike, say, in Medieval England where a mitred abbot might well be a significant politician but was not really a peer of the realm. I may be looking at a distinction without an actual difference but it sounded cool. Plus I was playing Medieval Total War 2 at the time ... which had me in the right mindset but wishing for a bit more granularity.
There is an actual difference, as far as I know.

What I was trying to say was that one of the distinguishing features of the Holy Roman Empire was that any monastery, landed knight or small town
might be a separate state under the Emperor, but it was far from all of them
and it wasn't exactly the general state of affairs (but presumably special and individual cases dating back to privileges made by rulers like Otto The Undecided and Lothar The Flatulent for exceptional services granted or
inconvenient badassittude).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I thought - very briefly - of them, but their conception of the Empire seems a bit too unified and its politics a bit too grand scale for me.
I'm inclined to think of it in terms of "not having the time, space and energy
to list every petty statelet", just as in, say, Crusader Kings you get Bavaria,
Saxony, Brandenburg, Bohemia and places like that, but not Schweinland-Pferd,
Kleinkleckersdorf or Dingenskirchen.
There is plenty of room for microstates making war on and intriguing against each
other. You just have to do a little more work yourself (or appeal to the forum).
And it's very easy to throw out the events of The Big Campaign and the goings-on
chronicled in the past few hundred editions of the wargame by not paying attention
to either.

As for the rules:
There is the option - as mentioned by, for example, Mr. Hite, although in reference to books on
different subjects - of trying to get hold of a second-hand copy. That way they don't get your
money and you hopefully get the
pre-dark side edition.
(And there's always GURPS.)
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote