View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #36
Anders

Default Re: Charlemagne's Paladins - roleplaying in the 8th century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Also, what about blessings to empower knights? "He teacheth my hands to war, he lendeth strength to my fingers". "He is my hightower, my safe place". The bible isn't quiet when it comes to war.

I'm not actually that well read up on Charlemagne's time, but I wonder: is there any reason to believe in a warlike Man of God? I'm talking someone like Odo or Adhemar? Odo was a Bishop, and the half-brother of William the Conqueror. He fought on the battlefield in full mail with a cudgel, I'm not sure if he's also depicted with a sword at his waist. But Adhemar, the Papal Legate for the Crusade is known to have fought in the lines using a sword.

We are centuries before either men, but is there any reason to suspect equally martial bishops during Charle's time?
Well, the Bible isn't silent... but a lot of people would say that the new teachings of Christ - turn the other cheek, do not resist evil, for instance, supersedes the Old Testament. I'm thinking that the more martial stuff belongs to Islam, since Muhammad was clearly a general as well as a prophet.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, you're probably right. I'll consider this tonight, while I sleep.

Last edited by Anders; 01-21-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote