View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: A Campaign in Space / Balancing of Spaceships with different SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Good point, I'm not sure how to model that... Laser Mk1 < Laser Mk2, but there is only one Laser in the book.. Any ideas?
It wouldn't be too hard to whip up a series of cheap-quality beam weapons that punch below their weight. And you could offer a cut rate on lower-than-campaign-TL beam types or missiles. You could do similar things with other systems.

If you want player ships to go up from the setting TL rather than up to it (I think the latter is more realistic, but players might prefer the former), you could let them get 'prototype' or otherwise cutting-edge gear that performs up to, say, a TL better than normal, for extortionate prices.

(In particular, it's established that the best available armor materials at a given TL are substantially better than the Spaceships listing, because power armor and ground vehicles couldn't have the stats they do otherwise.)

If you want lots of part-swapping on a single hull, as seen in Elite type games, make the player ships with at least some modular systems (SS4:6) so that it's relatively cheap and easy to change them out.
Quote:
That's a start... I'll have to make calculations to see how this would play out... there should probably be a max delta allowed between the smallest and the biggest ship...
Depends how flexible you and the players feel, and what sort of thing you're planning to do. You probably don't want the fighter pilot player to be just one of a flock of NPC fighters flying out of another player's carrier...unless they'd be happy leading the group's 'air cover'.
Quote:
So far I'm not thrilled by what you told me :) Seems to be more difficult than I thought!
Spaceships often seems that way in general.