Default Re: IQ to power spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Hmm, I'm thinking more of the differences between, in the IQ-gives-mana system:
ST 12, DX 14, IQ 14 can power 14 points of spells before rest
ST 10, DX 14, IQ 16 can power 16 points of spells before rest
ST 11, DX 12, IQ 17 can power 17 points of spells before rest
ST 8, DX 12, IQ 20 can power 20 points of spells before rest

Not only can the higher-IQ wizards cast more spells, but they can also cast much more powerful spells. There are few reasons for them to put points in ST except to be able to survive a bit more injury.
Higher IQ wizards casting higher IQ spells isn't an effect of any house rule, it's how the original rules work, so I don't see your point in mentioning this.

In each of those examples, increasing the attribute being used to power spells by 1 point gives you 1 more point to power spells. That's not a new rule either.

The last of your 40 point wizard examples is the one I already addressed as my own extreme case example (by a difference of 1DX). It's still just as true that to evolve to that point of having 20 points of spell power, the wizard has to increase the pertinent attribute 8 times. That's on average about 16 adventures. If a starting wizard of only ST 8 can last 16 adventures, while staying ST 8 the whole time, he or she deserves to put that 800 XP wherever they want.

Quote:
Add apprentices, staff mana, and/or powerstones to the situation, and the higher-IQ wizards look better and better.
Okay, but the the higher-ST wizard would be exactly as much better off too if spell power was coming from ST. And if we decided to power spells from DX, then higher DX or Aid to DX would be helpful too. Power spells by rubber bands, then you'll want/need more rubber bands. Again, this doesn't address play balance itself in any way.

Quote:
And considering 32-point arena balance, there would be even less incentive to put points in ST. A good balanced arena wizard in the original Wizard might be:
ST 10 DX 11 IQ 11
And that very same arena wizard in an IQ-based mana system would have 1 more point to power spells. 1 point. What's the worry here?

Quote:
but:
ST 8 DX 12 IQ 12
is almost as good as a wizard in the original system who has:
ST 12 DX 12 IQ 12

The only disadvantage is they can survive 4 less points of injury
Wait now! Your 32 point wizard in this example can survive 4 points less damage than your 36 point wizard, and that's a problem? That's not a result of whatever source is powering spells! That's just a natural consequence of being a 32 point wizard. The 36 point wizard has to have a 4 point advantage in something, or he's not 4 points better! And I wouldn't call 4 points of survival advantage "only", I think it's pretty large in this game.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote