View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 01:28 AM   #38
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: IQ to power spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
1) Wait, what? You really played 20 years and had wizards favoring ST over IQ and so not getting up to higher IQ levels because of that? If so, I'd be interested to hear more about that, as it's not something I recognize, and would be interested to hear how that went in more detail. So what did your typical 36 and 40 point wizards look like in terms of attributes?
Our PC wizards that started with high IQs (and therefore less ST) rarely lived longer than one or two adventures. And they did stick to the rear and let the heroes screen them as much as possible. If you start with ST 8, and after spending just 3 or 4 points powering spells, one arrow can kill you. Mortality was very high among all our players wizards in the early years!

The ones that tended to survive longer were the ones with very conservative IQs, ST at least 10 or 11, DX at least 14, leather armor, and fought with swords as often as not.

I only had one, in all those years, get from starting character to 40+ points. We didn't implement the Mana from IQ option until some years into playing, or there'd surely have been more.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote